Health insurance

All foreign citizens, however short their stay in Poland, are obliged to hold a valid medical insurance. If they fail to provide a proof of an insurance in need of medical aid, they will have to cover costs of medical services.

Citizen of member states of the EU, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland and Switzerland who hold a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) can get free medical aid in surgeries and hospitals marked with a National Health Fund symbol (Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia). EHIC is issued in the country of origin of a foreigner. More information can be found on the National Health Fund website and on European Committee websites.

Citizens of countries other than a member state of the European Union, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland or Switzerland who study in Poland need to provide a consul with a proof of a medical insurance upon submitting their visa application. After they arrive in Poland, they benefit from an insurance policy obtained in their country, if the policy allows it. If not, they can sign an agreement with the National Health Fund or with a Polish insurance company. We do not recommend buying travel insurance as it may have limitations regarding the length of stay in a given country (usually 30 days).  

Citizens of countries from outside the EU who are of Polish descent can apply to their university for a medical insurance coverage. First they should sign an agreement with the National Health Fund (passport, proof of residence and university admission certificate will be necessary), then contact the JU Office for Student Affairs (website in Polish only).

All students, including international students, call also obtain a voluntary accident insurance for 25 PLN a year. For further information, contact the JU Students Union (website in Polish only).